roasted poblano soup
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ purple onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- On a baking sheet, broil the poblano peppers for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer the broiled peppers to a paper sack, close, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a covered saucepan, boil the sweet potatoes in chicken broth for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- In a saute pan, saute the onion in coconut oil for five minutes or until translucent.
- Add jalapeno and garlic to the saute pan with the onion, and saute for several minutes more.
- Remove the poblano peppers from the paper sack, slough off the skin with your fingers, and chop.
- Add the chopped poblano peppers, the onion mixture, salt, pepper, and the cilantro to the saucepan with the sweet potatoes and broth.
- Transfer the mixture to a Vitamix or other blender, cover, and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Transfer back to the saucepan, and stir in the coconut milk.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving if desired.
Recipe by The Naked Avocado at https://nakedavocado.com/2014/03/roasted-poblano-soup/