spaghetti squash with sausage, brussels sprouts, and apples
Recipe type: entree
- 1 spaghetti squash
- olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (I use chicken or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 bag Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1/2 purple onion, cut into slivers
- 2 apples, cut into slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and place the whole spaghetti squash in the oven while it is preheating.
- After a few minutes, remove the spaghetti squash, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds.
- Place cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet, and rub a little olive oil over the inside of the squash.
- Bake for 45 minutes, and then fluff spaghetti squash "noodles" out of the shell with a fork.
- Transfer the "noodles" to a bowl, and toss them with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, blanch the Brussels sprouts in boiling water for two minutes, and then transfer to an ice bath.
- In a large saute pan, brown the sausage and onion in the coconut oil until no longer pink.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, and saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add the apples, thyme, and sea salt, and saute for 5 minutes more.
- Divide the spaghetti squash onto 4 plates, and top each dish of squash with 1/4 of the sausage, Brussels sprouts, and apples mixture.
Recipe by The Naked Avocado at https://nakedavocado.com/2014/02/spaghetti-squash-with-sausage-brussels-sprouts-and-apples/