spinach and summer squash frittata
Recipe type: breakfast, eggs
- 1 heaping handful of spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded (or chopped pine nuts if avoiding dairy)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (increase to ½ teaspoon if using pine nuts)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil and add sliced squash, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach, stir to combine, cover, and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and then add basil, cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until well blended. Add cooked veggies to the egg mixture.
- Spray the other teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet and warm it over medium heat. Once it’s hot, pour in the veggie-egg mixture and let it cook for 6-7 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Recipe by The Naked Avocado at https://nakedavocado.com/2013/07/spinach-and-summer-squash-frittata/