ruby red grapefruit bars
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (about the juice of one ruby red)
- zest of a grapefruit
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- optional: grated coconut for a garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat together coconut oil, eggs, honey, and salt.
- Add coconut flour and beat until a dough forms. You may need to let it sit for 30 seconds until it thickens enough to form a dough.
- Spread the dough into a greased 8 inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 13 - 15 minutes or until brown on the edges and baked in the middle. Make sure the crust is baked through the middle.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- While the crust is baking, juice the grapefruit using a juicer or by squeezing.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, honey, grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest, baking powder, and coconut flour.
- Pour the grapefruit mixture over the warm crust, and return to the oven for 25 -27 minutes or until it has set.
- Optional: Garnish with grated coconut.
For a more tart bar, substitute 1/8 cup grapefruit juice and 1/8 cup lemon juice for the 1/4 cup grapefruit juice.
Recipe by The Naked Avocado at https://nakedavocado.com/2013/02/ruby-red-grapefruit-bars/