tomato and basil pizza
Recipe type: entree, vegetable
- 1 zucchini or yellow squash, grated
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup almond flour (www.honeyvillegrains.com)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- dash of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- handful of basil leaves
- optional: grated mozzarella cheese, nitrate-free meat, sliced mushrooms, diced red bell pepper, diced purple onion, chopped broccoli, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place grated zucchini or yellow squash between two paper towels and press out excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, add grated zucchini or yellow squash, flax seed meal, almond flour, egg, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, and stir until well combined.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, press batter out into a thin layer about 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and brush with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the crust, flip crust, and peel off the parchment paper from the bottom side.
- Brush flipped side with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and top with sliced tomato, sea salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil leaves.
- Bake for an additional 7 - 10 minutes, and then serve.
Recipe by The Naked Avocado at https://nakedavocado.com/2012/08/tomato-and-basil-pizza/