You may notice that some asparagus spears are thick and some are thin. I find that the thick ones are best for roasting or steaming, and thin spears are ideal for the grill or if you are planning to sautee. I wasn’t able to find very thick ones this week, so I used the thickest ones available for this quick and easy roasting recipe.
Asparagus is a tremendously healthy food to add to your diet, as this member of the lily family has so many health benefits. I’ve listed a few for you below:
- can detoxify our system
- has anti-aging functions
- is considered an aphrodisiac
- can protect against cancer
- reduces pain and inflammation
- can prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
- reduces the risk of heart disease
- can help prevent birth defects
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody bottoms trimmed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the trimmed asparagus spears in a baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, tamari, garlic and ginger.
- Drizzle over the asparagus spears and toss gently.
- Roast uncovered in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds over the roasted asparagus and serve.