I love beets – their beautiful color and sweet flavor are not only delicious but highly nutritious. One of the most common and effective natural liver detoxifiers is the beet. They are a high-antioxidant vegetable that contains a number of important substances, including: betaine, betalains, fiber, iron, betacyanin, folate, and betanin. Pectin, which is a fiber found in beets, can also help clean the toxins that have been removed from your liver, allowing them to be flushed out of your system instead of reabsorbed by your body. The high vitamin C content in the oranges further flushes and protects the liver while boosting your immune system. And, the beneficial bacteria in this soup will also boost your digestive system and immunity.
I made this soup for my family, and even my kids enjoyed it, as the beets and oranges combine for a pleasant but not overly sweet flavor. Let me know how you like it!
Detoxifying Beet Orange Soup
- 2 beets, unpeeled with greens cut off – save for juicing!
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup plain kefir or plain cultured coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of 1 orange
- Steam the beets and carrots until soft.
- The peels of the beets should easily slide off.
- In a Vitamix, blend the steamed beets and carrots, oranges, orange juice, kefir or cultured coconut milk, Greek yogurt, and sea salt until smooth and creamy.
- Reheat in a saucepan if desired.
- Top with orange zest.