Day 6 of a Week of Grapefruit. A little more grapefruit trivia…did you know that grapefruit got its name from the way it grows in clusters (like grapes) on the tree? Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a grapefruit tree in person, but I can tell you that clusters of this large fruit are not what I imagined!
I was first served broiled grapefruit while living in Seattle. Before we had our sweet children, my husband and I used to get away for the weekend to all the fun and adventurous places Washington State had to offer. Man, what a beautiful place. Anyway, while staying at a B&B on Orcas Island, we were served this delectable treat for breakfast. This the version I came up with.
- 1 grapefruit, halved
- maple syrup
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Place the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet.
- With a pairing knife, cut around each section so the syrup can soak down in the grapefruit and so it is easy to eat each bite.
- Drizzle desired amount of maple syrup over the top of each grapefruit half.
- Sprinkle desired amount of cinnamon on top of each half.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until the top just begins to brown.