This year my family celebrated Christmas in Santa Fe with my parents, and we enjoyed this soup as our first course.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 butternut squash, cubed and peel removed
- 2 apples, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, butternut squash, apples, celery, onion, garlic, spices and olive oil.
- Simmer on low heat covered for 1 hour.
- Gradually spoon or pour contents of the saucepan into a large blender like a Vitamix, and place the lid securely on top.
- Place a towel over the lid of the blender to avoid injury and a mess.
- Blend on high until the soup is pureed.
- Serve hot.