My family gobbled up this easy-to-make sweet and savory snack. Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, give a healthy crunch to any dish. Try sprinkling them on your salads, adding them to your granola or muesli, using them in your baked goods like pumpkin bread, or grabbing them by the handful to snack on.
5 reasons to add pumpkin seeds to your family’s menu this week:
- They provide many forms of vitamin E and other antioxidants.
- They’re a great source of the mineral zinc along with magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, and manganese.
- They have been shown to improve insulin regulation.
- They have been shown to be antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal.
- They contain lots of lignans which may provide protection from cancers like prostate and breast.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon natural unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread out the pumpkin seeds on a parchment lined baking sheet, and toast them in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey, cocoa, cinnamon, sea salt, and oil.
- Add the toasted pumpkin seeds to the bowl, and stir to coat them.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds out on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 12-13 minutes.